At the invitation of the International Hospital Federation (IHF), Taiwan will play host to the 2006 International Hospital Federation Asian Pacific Regional Conference next week.
The IHF conference is said to be the biggest non-governmental global conference on medical and health-related affairs, next to that of the WHO. The conference will be held at the Taipei International Convention Center from Sunday to Wednesday.
So far 747 representatives from hospitals in 20 different countries have confirmed their attendance at the biennial event the Taiwan Hospital Association announced yesterday.
More than 1,000 local doctors or related medical personnel will also attend.
"It will be the second time we have organized this kind of international conference. The first time was 20 years ago," said Taiwan Hospital Association Chairman Wu Der-lang (
Wu said the association applied to host the conference four years ago but lost out to Hong Kong.
"This year, we did not file an application but the federation invited us to do so. It is truly an honor," Wu said.
Top-ranking hospital officials will attend next week's event to discuss problems faced by health systems in different countries. In addition, the contribution that Taiwan can make internationally to health issues will be discussed.
Forty-three domestic medical papers prepared by 23 local doctors and 53 medical papers from 30 foreign doctors will also be presented at the conference.
Wu said that Taiwan's cardiology development and research are internationally renowned and that young doctors from Canada, the US, the UK and Russia visited Taiwan every year to engage in research and study in this field.
"We shall take advantage of the conference to let more foreign friends know how well we can do and what we can contribute to internationally," Wu said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as